Skip to content ↓

FAQ & Jargon Buster

Werrington Primary School

FAQ & Jargon Buster

FAQ and Jargon Buster

What are Professional days?  

All schools in England have five days every year when they are closed to pupils to allow for staff training. They are an important part of staff training and development, ensuring that staff stay up-to-date with latest developments and so education in our school remains ‘cutting edge’.

What is EYFS?  

EYFS = Early Years Foundation Stage (Reception)

What are Key Stage 1 and 2 (KS1 and KS2)? 

Key Stage 1 is Years 1 and 2.

Key Stage 2 Years 3, 4, 5 and 6.

What is the national curriculum?   

The national curriculum outlines what all children should be taught in each Key Stage. You can find out what your child's curriculum is by looking on our school website.

What are bands and steps?

The BAND correlates to age/curriculum expectation and the STEP shows where the child is within the age BAND – Beginning/Beginning +, Within/Within+, Secure/Secure +.  This is in line with the information given to Parents/Carers at the Easter consultations. 

What is Teacher Assessment?  

This is the teachers’ judgement about the level a child is attaining. This judgement will be made based on evidence gathered over a period of time and from a range of pieces of work, together with test results. It is usually a more reliable judgement of a child’s attainment than a test result alone.

What is a TA?  

A TA is a Teaching Assistant. This is somebody who supports learning in the classroom. Sometimes they will support individual children, at other times they may work with a group or with the whole class.

What is PPA time?  

This is Planning, Preparation and Assessment time; all teachers are entitled to PPA time.

What is an Achievement Assembly?  

Achievement Assemblies happen every week on Friday mornings. They are an opportunity to recognise and reward children’s particular achievements in school.  Achievements outside school are shared and celebrated too.

When do we get a school report for our children? 

School reports are issued to all the children two weeks before the end of the school year (July).

How do I give feedback about my child to teachers?  

There are two parent consultation evenings every year when you can make an appointment to discuss your child’s progress with their teacher(s). In addition, teachers are always happy to talk briefly at the end of the school day. If you’d like to talk for a bit longer, then ask your child’s teacher if you can arrange a time that is convenient for you both. You can do this at any time of the year.

How frequently are parents’ evenings?   

Parents’ evenings are held twice a year.  The first are in the autumn, usually in October, and the second in the spring.

How do I contact the Headteacher?   

You can do one of a number of things:

Our Headteacher,  practises an open-door policy and is always happy to meet with you.

When can my child learn a musical instrument?  

We have a number of peripatetic music teachers who provide instrument tuition during the school week. Please ask at the school office for more information.

Do the children have swimming lessons?  

We have a solar heated swimming pool which is used in the last half term of the school year by Years 2 – 6.

 Is PE kit compulsory? 

Yes. This is for health and safety reasons. No jewellery or watches can be worn and long hair needs to be tied back for Health & Safety reasons.

Where is the lost property kept?  

Lost property is kept in drawers near the school office.  Please write your child's name on all items of clothing. 

Any other questions?  

Please feel free to contact the school office.

The following are abbreviations you are likely to see when reading facts about a school.

RAISEonline - document provided by Ofsted which provides data comparing KS1 & KS2 results with National results

DfE Department for Education

EAL English as an Additional Language

EYFS Early Years Foundation Stage

FSM Free School Meals

KS1 Key Stage 1

KS2 Key Stage 2

LA Local Authority

NOR Number on roll

SEN Special Education Needs

SENDCO Special Educational Needs & Disability Co-ordinator

TA Teacher Assessment and Teaching Assistant

PP Pupil Premium